~~~
So, I have decided to blog about the next 180 days. I have reached a point where I need to truly deal with some longstanding issues in my life: procrastination, overspending, consumerism, clutter, irresponsible drinking, depression, anxiety, and stress.
Don't get me wrong, I have a very blessed life filled with love, family, and friends. I have had wonderful experiences, and have accomplished a decent amount so far. It's not like I've hit rock-bottom. It's more like I am tired of spinning my wheels. I know that I am capable of living in peace, and of doing truly helpful work. I've just let certain issues hold me back, and I am finally ready and determined to deal with them.
How am I going to do this, you may ask? Not sure, entirely. I have a few ideas though:
1) Stop drinking. I am not an alcoholic, but I do tend to overdo the sauce when I imbibe. :) I've noticed this cuts into my productivity, increases my feelings of anxiety and depression, and just plain negatively impacts my health. So for the next 180 days, I am making a commitment to an alcohol-free lifestyle. I know this is going to suck at first (I actually like the taste of beer!), but I am convinced that I will be better off for it in the long run.
2) De-clutter. Thanks to the thought provoking blog by Leo Babauta (zenhabits.net), I have been reintroduced to the ideas of simple living. One of his big things is de-cluttering, and I am excited to try it out for myself. I have reserved Tuesday for cleaning my bedroom from top to bottom. I am planning to get rid of A LOT that day. I have a feeling it will be kind of sad, but also a huge relief. I'll let you know how that pans out.
3) Narrow down my focus. I have been doing a lot of thinking about my priorities lately, and I have actually created a "short list" for the next 180 days. Here it is:
PERSONAL GOALS:
Personal Hygiene / Fitness / Nutrition / Spirituality
Mastering a Regular Sleep Schedule / Being on Time / Single-Tasking
Household Cleanliness / Cat and Dog Care / Respect for my Possessions
PROFESSIONAL GOALS:
AmeriCorps Assignment
Pucks Against Poverty Event
Freelance Projects for Income
REWARD ACTIVITIES:
Creating: Knitting, Painting, & Playing Violin
Learning: Reading Books that I Already Own & Writing in a Journal
Connecting with Nature: Ice Fishing, Sledding, & Going on Walks
This list will remind me of how I want to be spending my time. I will only expend my energies on the things outlined in this simple list. Life is too short to be running in a million directions!
Anyway, that's all I've got for now. I am excited and nervous about this adventure. But I am starting it at the perfect time. Until at least April 15th, I am only working part-time, as an AmeriCorps member... that means I'll have plenty of time for focusing on the task at hand -- cultivating peace where there was once chaos.
~~~
The 180-Day Turnaround from Chaotic to Centered
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment